We love the idea of being outside, so why don’t we spend more time out there? Most of us don’t have houses with deep terraces, huge patios and multi-leveled decks. We say, all the better! Make your space welcoming and inviting and it won’t cost the earth.
- Start with one thing you love. A fabric? Stretch it on some painters canvas stretchers and staple it to the back- you’ve just created the color-way and theme for your new space.
- Add some pillows or chair cushions from TJ Maxx home and pull some of the colors out of your fabric “art”. Keep the pillows in a big basket inside the door unless you get some made with Sunbrella…
- Get some lighting out there. We love moonlighting, the down-lights pinned up into the trees that sheds very soft light downward to give you gentle ambient light.
- Use chunky candles inside glass sleeves or hurricanes on the tables.
- Add a ceiling fan! Yup, an outdoor ceiling fan gently cools you, keeps the bugs away, and extends the time you’ll want to be outside! Be sure to find a ceiling fan for “damp” or “wet” locations depending on where you put your new fan - screen porch is considered damp, on the deck is considered wet
- Use your outside walls: brick makes a beautiful backdrop for a sideboard you turn into a bar.
- Find some shade: an awning, a big umbrella, an arbor with fabric over the top… shade makes lingering outside a treat.
- Go simple with cheap chic, or go all out and create some classic elegance. Your outdoor space is an extension of your home and of you.